Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pork Barbeque Ribs

First meal to blog.

I've decided to go 'whole hog' (*roll eyes*) and start my adventure with pork ribs. Growing up on a hog farm, I've had my fill of pork products and rarely have made any pork in the past. But, since it's what I was raised on, I've decide to tap into my past and bring out my favorite of all pig.

I love
Allrecipes and I am always browsing the site for new and not-so-new recipes. I stumbled across a great barbeque rib recipe and I am going to use it again today.

For the Ribs: I'm following
THIS recipe
  • 2-3 lb. rack of pork back ribs
  • Dry Rub
  • Favorite Barbeque Sauce
Most important step (and one I didn't know the first time I made them) is to remove the membrane from the back of the rack of ribs. This looks like a layer of fat, but it's a very tough, thin layer that holds the meat and bone together. It is not necessary to remove it, but if you want the 'fall off the bone' type rib, then it must be removed.

My vegetable will be a frozen 'steamable' broccoli with cheese sauce (hey, it doesn't have to be all home-made!)

I am also going to serve homemade mashed potatoes with this. Just thinking of mashed potatoes and barbeque ribs brings back so many memories of my childhood!

I've completed the dry rub phase of my ribs and they are marinating in the refrigerator overnight.
Pictures of my completed meal coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. I make babyback ribs quite often. The easiest way to remove the membrane is to get a corner started and then, using a dry towel/wash cloth, slowly pull the membrane while holding the ribs with your free hand. It should come off in one clean sheet.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete